Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Four wheelin' in the hood

Wow!  This new wheelchair is fantastic!! I spent the first afternoon practicing throughout the facility and the staff seemed as enthusiastic as I was about my new mobility. It took no time at all to gain skill in motoring down hallways, making turns, getting through doors, and deft maneuvering in small spaces. It was fun motoring up to  people who, previously, I had needed to call to my bedside for assistance.    After being bedridden for six weeks no doubt there was a certain amount of motivation to acquire these new skills.

On day two I got into the chair at 7 a.m. and relinquished mobility at 9 p.m. I ate all three meals in the dining room rather than lying in bed. I spent much of the day on the back patio visiting with my elder sister Laura and brother-in-law Bill who flew in  from Tampa the previous evening.  My occupational therapist wanted to observe me venturing out into the nearby neighborhood and so we motored out of the parking lot, turned onto a sidewalk, crossed the street at a designated crosswalk, and continued to a grocery store on the next corner. We went inside and I demonstrated skill in grocery shopping for a few items.

I am really looking forward to using the Metro System to get from Anderson House to just about anywhere that is wheelchair accessible in Seattle.  Before I can tool around on my own, however, my occupational therapist needs to accompany me on a trial run and that may not be until next Monday.   Until then I'm limited to visiting places in the local neighborhood. Hey, there's a 7-Eleven not so far away. Haven't had a Slurpee and a while!

Man, exhibiting patience from now until Monday will be an excellent test of my new-found perspective on remaining present in the now.  The closest climbing analogy I can think of is having a severe case of summit fever.  So close.

No comments:

Post a Comment