Monday, August 15, 2016

Silver Linings

Wow, so many things to be thankful for!

Marijane and the girls basically took six weeks of their lives and put them on hold while helping me through the thickest part of it.  It is impossible to imagine having to have done all that on my own. Marijane has worked ceaselessly on my behalf with doctors, nurses, hospital administrators, nursing home administrators, insurance administrators, wheelchair experts, physical therapy experts, the list goes on and on. No way could I have done any of that. When I was in full-arm casts and the meals arrived she even fed me. And while Marijane has been supporting me, Marie and Rachel have been supporting Marijane by picking up responsibilities at the house.

Then by all my lucky stars I've gotten out of this with the all of the important things intact.  My spinal cord, brain, and nervous system as well as all internal organs were unharmed.  I am one lucky dude!  Yes there's a lot of mechanical stuff to put back together, but I'm in the hands of Harborview medical teams and those folks have put people back together a gazillion times.

And it has been fantastic to receive all the love, kindness, and support from family and friends. Sisters and brothers are flying in to visit. Friends are dropping by and I have company just about every day. Mom and Dad expect a call every evening and we chat for about a half an hour; it's amazing how much new stuff I am learning about their lives.

Just before the fall I was in final conversations with a wonderful organization about a terrific job and it is amazing that they have been patient with me during this ordeal.  In the last week we have progressed to a full understanding of roles and responsibilities and timing for me joining the organization. As a matter of fact the CEO announced to the board of directors at a recent meeting that I would be coming on board very soon. Tom Vogl and I have discussed my joining the Mountaineers staff as director of operations and I can't wait to get started!


No comments:

Post a Comment