Sunday, August 21, 2016

New digs!


I've been making so much convalescence progress that our insurance provider decided it was time for me to migrate from a skilled nursing center to an assisted living community.  It makes perfect sense to me as I no longer have need of 24 hour nurse care, people doling out medications, or meals delivered to my bed.


Ideally I would head for home at this point, but because I'll be in this motorized wheelchair for the next 6 to 8 months, and because our home is so very wheelchair unfriendly it makes sense for me to remain in an ADA approved facility for the duration. It could be as simple as an apartment built for wheelchair-bound folk, however, because I am unable to load bear on hands or feet (just elbows and knees at this point) family members are concerned that if I deck then there would be nobody around to pick me up. Hence we've looked at several assisted living communities and have settled on the Ballard Landmark on Leary Way.

Miraculously, we were able to move from Anderson House to Ballard Landmark in a single day with the help of sister Laura and brother-in-law Bill. They packed up everything in my room, moved it out to their rental car,  transported it from Shoreline to Ballard, and then moved everything back into the Landmark.  I'll remain in a temporary guest suite for several days while the Landmark crew prepares my apartment; they want to replace carpet and paint the walls.  Simultaneously I'll coordinate delivery of a few pieces of IKEA furniture and a rented powered hospital bed, and then I'll be all set. 

The Landmark Community are very curious about me and I'll be making a bunch of new friends in the course of the next several months. By the way, it is a great place for visiting. The public spaces are very comfortable and well-appointed and it would be fun to entertain guests here.

No comments:

Post a Comment